Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 8

What new appreciations (for who? of what?) have you gained through internship that you did not have before? How did you develop these appreciations?

I have definitely gotten a new appreciation for librarians. I thought that a librarians job was fairly easy. All you have to do is organize books right? It's so much more than that. They have to know where every book in the library is all the time. If you happen to be the head of Collections as well, you get the collections to wrangle with too. A head of library and collections oversees everything that is donated, everything from collections that is on display, and everything that is in collection storage and believe me, that's a lot. There's pictures, books, artifacts, ship models, and all sorts of things ranging from mannequins to nautical devices.

I developed this appreciation for my mentor just by watching him work. He is constantly leaving and going to do something and he's always helping people out who come in with donations or questions. He's always doing something. He also helps us out when we need help. He's a real cool guy. How can you do all this at once? I don't know, but he can. He really is a great mentor. I just hope we're not bothering him too much and I hope we can help him out with things he needs help with.

No comments:

Post a Comment