Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 10

Because several things happened to me today I'm going to post several pictures that sum up my day instead of just one.




This is what I did the first few hours today. I have to cut out this model of the Cutty Sark. It's going to take me awhile.



I also had to do research for my new internship project. So here I'm at the Cutty Sark website for the actual ship (not the model).



I went to the bathrooms which are up this flight of stairs and coming back I slipped and fell about halfway down the stairs on my rear end. Hence now the caution sign they put up after I fell. My arm and hiney are still sore...

I have to answer some questions for my internship project using my reasearch so here's that.


And finally, this is what the water looked like when I left to go to back to school to go to robotics. I hope the weather lets up soon but I guess it's going to be on and off according to the news...

What new questions has your internship inspired you to ask about our world? What has it made you wonder about? What are you moved to go out and do or learn about on your own time?

The question my internship has inspired me to ask about our world is: Where is my place in this world? I don't know what I want to do with my life. Everybody at my internship has made up their mind about what they are doing and they like doing it. I'm really kind of shaken up about this. Where should I go? Which path should I take? Am I choosing the right college? Does it fit me? Will I succeed in life? These are all questions that I've thought about. All they managed to do so far is give me a headache but eventually I think I'll figure those out.

It's really made me wonder about my choices. Relating to the questions above: Is what I'm doing productive in the long run? Will what I'm doing right now get me somewhere in the future? It seems pretty pointless to do something if it doesn't have a purpose.

I'm moved to go out and learn knotting believe it or not. They have a little knotting thing on the Star of India and it's a lot of fun to play with. I can do a Chinese good luck knot and I can make really intricate friendship bracelets but that's about the extent of my knowledge. So I want to go learn about knotting and especially decorative knotting.

Okay. Moving on to questions.
  1. Why did you chose to get a Ph.D. in history? Was history something that you had always wanted to study? Why did you choose UC Berkley? Did you think it was a good fit for you?
  2. Do you think that there is a reward for doing what you do? What brings you to work in the morning?
  3. If you could have any job in the world what would it be?
  4. When you were a kid did you ever think that you would be doing this job? What led you to your job at the Maritime Museum? Did you ever have any other careers in mind?
  5. Why do you take on interns? Do you feel that interns seriously contribute something in their time there?
  6. What do you think is the most important thing you've learned working for the Maritime Museum?

No comments:

Post a Comment