Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 12

Part 1: Documenting Collaboration






My mentor Kevin showing one worker/volunteer how the computer works.

Part 2: Writing About Collaboration

In the course of one typical workday, how many different people do you directly work with? How many people are indirectly affected by your work.
In about one workday I would say that I work with maybe two people if that. For the most part I work by myself and try not to bug anybody.

Describe your direct collaboration with others—how does it go & how does it influence the work?
I usually just talk and bounce ideas off my mentor as well as Marc who is the other intern. We just talk, see if we can work out an idea, if my mentor likes it then we try to work it out. It influences the kind of work that we do and what we are doing that day. For the most part I work the most with Marc and don't see my mentor for most of the day. Usually just when we get there, lunch, and when he leaves.

Describe your indirect impact on others through your work—there are probably many people you never actually see who are affected by your work. How does this happen? How does this influence your work?
The indirect impact on others would be seeing the webpage we're helping to build. This influences our work by making us want to make our webpage look the best so that people are impressed at our work and not disappointed.

Feel free to continue writing about collaboration. How might people work differently in your job in the future? How might different resources change the way we work? How might a different manager or mentor want people to work? How would you use collaboration if you were in charge?
I think that people who work my job in the future would definitely do my job different in the future because I think everybody would have a different approach to what they're going to do. Different resources would change the way we work enormously. I think that if the Maritime Museum had maybe a small greenscreen so that they can take pictures of ship models and objects they would find it easier to edit them. I think that a different mentor would maybe hover a little bit more and make sure that we are working all the time. I would use collaboration to get input from many different sources so that the finished product is of good quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment