Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 7

Project Description

Internship site: Maritime Museum

Department: Library and Collections

Project Title: The History of the Junk/New Acquisitions Web Page

General Description: A picture history of Chinese Sailboats.

Learning Objectives: To learn about the maritime history of the Chinese Junk as well as to make a new acquisitions page for the Maritime Museum web page.

Organization/Company Objectives & Benefits:
Objectives: To use pictures at hand to learn about maritime history.
Benefits: A new Acquisitions page.

Schedule:
1/18: Scan pictures, look through the catalog, pick out pictures.
1/19: Scan pictures and look through the catalog along with starting to write up descriptions for each page.
1/20 - 1/25: Start organizing my pictures along with descriptions for each page.
1/25 - 1/28: Organize my pictures. Put them in order. Nit pick and finalize.

Academic Skills: Researching, Organizing, Writing, Communication

Technical Skills: Scanning,
PastPerfect 4, iPhoto, Researching

Collaboration—Skills and Opportunities: This gives me the opportunity to really discover something new. I don't know too much about junks. It also gives me the opportunity to explore all the pictures that the maritime museum has collected.

Exhibition Plans: Are we doing a formal exhibition at school or at our sites? Is the HTHMA planning to do an organized exhibition? My own exhibition plans just include making a book and displaying a book. I could also make a website using Wix. I am going to put it on my DP of course and that's about it.

Schedule &
Timelines: I've talked with my mentor about what we are doing. Things aren't really set in stone quite yet. The new acquisitions page is still in the works, I don't know when that will happen. That's something that my mentor is planning. As for me, I've got some pictures already and I know what I'm going to do for my project. It shouldn't take too long to get enough pictures. The main thing I have to get done is all my writing. I have to get it done by the end of this week so that way I can send it off so I can get it bound. You can do that with iPhoto. That way I get it back in time for my POL.

Summary of my Week

I brought in my laptop and scanner and got a start on it on Monday. The stupid thing wouldn't work with the computer there and so I had to revert to their canon scanner. That wasn't so much fun. Marc's computer also caught a virus and died so we can't use that computer anymore because the IT guy hauled it away to fix it.

On Tuesday I brought my computer. I thought I had seen a flashdrive in the computer that I could use the day before but I guess I was wrong because there was no flashdrive. I ended up sending pictures back and forth between my computer and the museum computer until I worked up my courage to ask my mentor if I could borrow his. He let me and it was much, much easier after that even though his flashdrive was a little cramped for space and it took several trips back and forth to get a set of pictures on the other computer.

On Wednesday I brought my flashdrive (which has much more space). It was pretty easy the whole day. Just scanning and scanning some more. I think we might have gone somewhere for lunch, probably Anthony's Fish Grotto. I know one day out of the week we went to Anthony's. Anyway, after lunch it was back to scanning. I think Marc and Kevin left early on this day and left me to my own devices. I invited my Dad down and we explored the maritime museum. When I came back there was no volunteers in the library so I locked up and left.

On Thursday same old same old. Nothing much changed from Wednesday to Thursday. Scan, scan, scan. Even though sometimes it's a little automatic it can be fun. My mentor doesn't hover so I'll listen to music with headphones or me and Marc will talk. It's nice.

On Friday more scanning of course. I think my scanner is starting to hate me. That or thankful that I'm using it. It doesn't get used much at home. We had a coffee break today. There's no more styrofoam cups in the galley so I used my cup that I use for lunch since it was originally made for coffee. Coffee with a ton of creamer and a pack of hot chocolate is the best. It keeps me going. After coffee more scanning. For lunch we ate inside then went outside to just sit because it was nice. There was a guy doing name paintings so I spent my emergency money and got one for my mom. I wanted the yellow roses but he gave me different flowers. I'm going to buy another one for my mom's birthday which is in February. I know he comes every week because I've seen him twice so far. I'll get another one next Friday. Kevin left a little early so me and Marc sat and scanned and listened to music because no one else was in there that could listen in. The janitor came in when we were playing "I'll Make a Man Out of You." He scared me so bad I almost jumped! I left a little bit earlier that day so I told Marc to lock up. I hope he did.

Well, that was my week pretty much.

As for highlights I would definitely say when we find funny pictures like some guy with his butt to the camera. Those are the best because they break some of the monotony. Interesting pictures too. Challenges so far had been the lunchroom with staff in it. It's hard for interns to walk straight in. We're intimidated by the adults and by the fact that we are greenhorns compared to their experience. I don't really work much with others just Marc for the most part. I don't even see Kevin for most of the day even though he's just one room away but I suppose that's to be expected. He has his own work to get done and doesn't have time to mess with his interns. An interesting experience I did not expect had to be going into the bilge and seeing a creepy mannequin in pieces. Freaky but still interesting. Something to add to the interestingness (yes, that is a word) was the fact that we were putting away flags. Flags. That's not something you'll find at law firm! Just a museum! The way I would describe my first week to someone would have to be it's a job. That's the way it's supposed to be and that's the way you're supposed to experience it. You can't really describe it. It's enigmatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment